On dit que les mots ont un pouvoir, la possibilité de changer le monde, et qu'il faut donc en conséquence bien les choisir.
Cela reflète bien une certaine vérité : je pense au discours sur la paix (ex : l'illustre Martin Luther King et son « I have a dream ») ou sur l'équité (Ex: the Charter of Rights and Freedoms), speech that changed the world in their own way. It is logical to say that the choice of a word determines the impact of the entire speech on his listeners. People can master the words, sources of knowledge and opportunity. All this is a fact for many people, and I agree with that.
But where I do not agree with is when people see a powerful magical power to words.
|
| Image borrowed from this blog |
I hope not to offend anyone with my theory, which, after all, is personal. If you want to talk, you can always write to me at this email address .
I often read on forums and in theoretical books on magic and paganism, that the choice of words to influence the outcome of the ritual. Sometimes, some claimed to choose a specific language (usually English or Latin) so that the energy of the ritual is in tune to a specific source.
At first, I thought. This idea appealed the literary me.
But the son of my research and my experiences, I realized that this was not so true.
The written materials
We think a lot more now, but once humans used the walls of clay platelets or parchments to write a simple note to the accounts most sacred writings.
| |
| Fresco Lascaux | |
| |
| A papyrus of Ancient Egypt |
|
| Summériens Agreement between Berbers and on a clay plate |
| |
| Torah | |
supports varied considerably from one culture to another, let alone alphabets and languages. People did not pay much attention to words, seeing them as integral to the process of life, such as a natural means to communicate. Several Arab tales and Native North Americans do not they start with "In the days when animals spoke, making a link between nature and language?
It is interesting to note that recent scientific theories are rediscovering the thought that language is not peculiar to man (the zoosemiotics studying whale sounds, vocalizations of birds, the learning sign language in chimpanzees, etc.).
In linguistics
In linguistics
In linguistics at university, I learned that language can be defined by three concepts: the sign (semiotics - the image and / or word), the signifier (phonetics - sounds that mean the word) and signified (semantics-what the word means.)
Thus, this sign has the meaning "bird", "bird" or "pájaro . Yet all three represent the same meaning: the animal winged birds. can even go further and say that Bird is a term generic containing several other generic terms, such as raptors or ducks. These terms also contain words such as eagle, hawk, mallard, Sarcidiorne humpback, etc..
Here, the final word would indeed Canari (French), which belongs to the term Serin Canary , a class of bird.
Why I say that? To show that the same concept is described differently in different languages, civilizations and eras, and that according to the language, these words are equivalent, with none having more or less valuable than another.
The beginnings of an unresolved debate
The beginnings of an unresolved debate
Aristotle said that the language derives its raison d'etre of the company, since it allows to exchange needs and passions in the city (organized human society). In fact, language is the effect of its own raison d'etre.
Plato went further by saying that thinking is " dialogue of the soul with itself . The language as such does not think for himself. For humans, it is even both le point de départ de la pensée, mais surtout son instrument.
Chez les Hindous et les Grecs, un débat commença à apparaître : les mots étaient-ils d'origine divine, ou un simple moyen de communication?
Héraclite d'Éphèse distingue la pensée, l'énoncé et la réalité , tous les trois liés par le logos, un principe divin, selon ses dires théoriques.
Opposé à cela, on retrouve Démocrite, pour qui le langage est purement conventionnel.
Those who made the etymology know that words often have a spiritual origin unsuspected.
Mallarme claimed that the origin of grammar was spellbook.
The Bible and its influence
The Bible and its influence
| |
| The Holy Bible. What other bouqin could be causing the spread of such a belief? |
So, people were using multiple media to convey their ideas and ideals. A rising religion, Christianity, then sought to distinguish themselves from others by using an entirely new medium: the codex.
transportable, easy to use, personified hard to break, the codex was the pinnacle of human technology of our era.
|
| Even today, computers are not as strong. |
From the late fourth century The codex was widespread, more popular than ever.
It became the symbol of religious writings of Christianity. Like any symbol, it was protected and sanctified.
Religious leaders spread the idea that books held human wisdom (an idea opposed the new concept of oral transmission of many pagans), and destroy them was an unpardonable crime.
|
| Unless this book does not reflect the mentality of the Church ... |
People are told that all responses were in the book. Ironically, it was forbidden to Catholics to read the Bible, the priests themselves merely breviary. Only in high places were entitled to that privilege.
It was not until the second schism in the church to see the people (Protestant) read and interpreted the Bible.
Catholics were right there until 1964.
Why I am telling all this? To show the historical transformation of the sacralization of words.
The Bible contained sacred words, he thus became a sacred book. And by extension, it has come to associate this idea to all the books, saying they contained words that were themselves sacred as they were in books. You follow me?
magic words
Today, the area relies heavily on witchcraft this biblical belief. This is not an evil, and I have nothing against the influence of Christianity in the esoteric practices.
But I am of the opinion that a word is only one result of his wearing a symbol.
I believe in Darwin's theory, and believes that language is Part of this development process.
There is no divine origin, but a profound spiritual influence behind the words (etymology reveals a lot about it).
We give them the direction we want, whether archytépales, symbolic or common.
This is not the choice of words that will determine the outcome: it is the intention behind these words.
Many people practice with the "inner voice". They do not say a word. However, the results are definitely there.
This, for me, confirms my theory. I am sure to pray or invoke feelings or images are not as effective without the support of words.
I do not think egregores longer respond to the call for a specific language.
I do not think that because Modern witchcraft is practiced mostly in English, it makes English rituals rituals more effective.
I would think that this is a matter of feel and preference. After all, rely on the earth in Finnish has a lot of charm. Put an English word on a concept is practical. Using Japanese characters takes several senses at once. Be fascinated by the unconventional tone of French shows another way, which is very healthy. Speak ancient Greek or Latin is an excellent intellectual exercise. But
reject a language for a matter of energy, in my opinion, it of ignorance, pure and simple.
violence of poetry
past, they said the poets inspired by the divine Muses. Today, research on the unconscious have revealed that the inspiration does not exist, at least not in the Greek sense of the word.
Personally, I prefer to call creativity.
But I think it's an interesting track to follow to understand why we consider both the words as being of heavenly origin.
Specifically, I began to doubt the sanctity of words while reading poetry.
What could be more violent than a poem, where the sentences are cut with an ax, violates the syntax, wrong words, killing the sense that prostitution is white spaces, h urle feelings, denounces secret, turns and denies the moral?
What's more violent? Poetry Is not from the darkest man disguised under a mantle of beauty?
It is not wisdom. It's art, with all that that implies.
Magic uses a lot of poetry. For me, everything is ritual with words related to a certain force, violence in the speech.
The words are all that is most human. As they reflect the depths of man!
magic words
Today, the area relies heavily on witchcraft this biblical belief. This is not an evil, and I have nothing against the influence of Christianity in the esoteric practices.
But I am of the opinion that a word is only one result of his wearing a symbol.
I believe in Darwin's theory, and believes that language is Part of this development process.
There is no divine origin, but a profound spiritual influence behind the words (etymology reveals a lot about it).
We give them the direction we want, whether archytépales, symbolic or common.
This is not the choice of words that will determine the outcome: it is the intention behind these words.
Many people practice with the "inner voice". They do not say a word. However, the results are definitely there.
This, for me, confirms my theory. I am sure to pray or invoke feelings or images are not as effective without the support of words.
I do not think egregores longer respond to the call for a specific language.
I do not think that because Modern witchcraft is practiced mostly in English, it makes English rituals rituals more effective.
I would think that this is a matter of feel and preference. After all, rely on the earth in Finnish has a lot of charm. Put an English word on a concept is practical. Using Japanese characters takes several senses at once. Be fascinated by the unconventional tone of French shows another way, which is very healthy. Speak ancient Greek or Latin is an excellent intellectual exercise. But
reject a language for a matter of energy, in my opinion, it of ignorance, pure and simple.
violence of poetry
past, they said the poets inspired by the divine Muses. Today, research on the unconscious have revealed that the inspiration does not exist, at least not in the Greek sense of the word.
Personally, I prefer to call creativity.
But I think it's an interesting track to follow to understand why we consider both the words as being of heavenly origin.
Specifically, I began to doubt the sanctity of words while reading poetry.
What could be more violent than a poem, where the sentences are cut with an ax, violates the syntax, wrong words, killing the sense that prostitution is white spaces, h urle feelings, denounces secret, turns and denies the moral?
What's more violent? Poetry Is not from the darkest man disguised under a mantle of beauty?
It is not wisdom. It's art, with all that that implies.
Magic uses a lot of poetry. For me, everything is ritual with words related to a certain force, violence in the speech.
The words are all that is most human. As they reflect the depths of man!
No wonder the words have so fascinated the psychoanalysts. Freud said: "it is through language that essentially turns.
This amounts to the notion of meaning: the choice of a word, depending on the language, reflects the unconscious.
If words have power, it's one of us learn about ourselves and the world. One way to take part, in accepting us as we are.
This is not sacred or profane.
is human.
Conclusion
I'm writing.
I appreciate the beauty of language.
I appreciate the wisdom that can bring the books.
But I remain convinced that this is all a matter of human feeling.
After all, my distant American Indian ancestry make me keep my feet on the ground by making me understand that Europeans have the sacred book, the novel then, by losing all credibility in oral culture, a culture that is essential to transmission of values and knowledge ... But not necessarily essential regarding spirituality.
As shown above, the signified and the signifiers of a change too civilized to each other for a language to be worth more than another.
It's the same media, which are all equal, regardless of their use. The reason why the books were considered as sacred comes from a Christian influence that has galvanized the value of his book as well. It is from this moment that we looked like the books support the wisdom of the ancients.
Challenging words - which are the words of God - thereby returning to expose themselves to censorship, a bonfire, or worse, the death penalty.
poets of yesteryear have long propagated the belief of divine inspiration through the Muses (a belief which explained the previously unknown phenomenon of the unconscious, imagination and creativity), characters mythical Greek.
All this has influenced our vision of words and their relationship to the sacred.
I think the disabled who can not speak aloud. Are those left behind into account the spiritual world because of their inability to speak? I doubt it. For me, it still a sign of the importance of the inner voice.
I think the most important of all is to be comfortable with his choices.
that, I leave you with the magic words that parents love to hear from their children: if you please! thank you! I love you!
And on a humorous little video showing the transition from scrolls and codices.
course, there is a reference to the difficulty of adapting to IT.
Sources
* My lecture notes for Linguistics, History of publishing, Literature of Ancient Poetry and Philosophy, I can not reproduce here .
* The evolution of the book: the Codex eBook
* The photo
* Bertil Malmberg History of linguistics
* Language
* Google image (it must be so, for the pictures!).
0 comments:
Post a Comment